Thursday, December 13, 2012

Silver Anniversary

This year I got my 25 year pin and gift at the annual Service Awards - I can't believe that I've been at my place of employment 25 years or that I've been in Virginia Beach for longer than that.  It definitely wasn't the plan . . . for the past 20 years I should have been in Michigan but, while I will always love Michigan, it's probably a good thing that we hadn't already moved when Harry died.  I was able to keep my job, the house here and the kids in their schools - all positive things.

I never thought I'd still be working at my age either.  I had expected to retire at 50 or maybe 55 but that just wasn't possible for many reasons, primarily associated with the economy!  Besides, at those ages, I would have felt compelled to "do" something and, if I was going to work, I might as well stay where I was doing a job I liked!  Now, I'm getting to the point (not quite there yet) where I don't have the same compulsion to "do" as much as I did!

It has been a great week - Service Awards and a celebratory breakfast today - lots of good talking and fun with friends and co-workers.  I'm so lucky to work with people who are so much fun to be around!

No comments: