Thursday, April 25, 2013

Civility

I think it must be dead . . . but every time I think that I see excellent examples of it at work. Colleagues listen to each other, disagree (sometimes passionately) without rancor, work with difficult people without being condescending, and agree to disagree.

I just wish that more people did that - it's very disheartening to read the news (one plus to getting an actual paper newspaper would be the lack of comments!) and the attending comments.  People are so rude, crude and generally vile.

What happened to civility?  I certainly didn't agree with many things that President Bush (either one actually) did but I never called him anything but President Bush or Mr. Bush.  If for no other reason than the job itself deserves respect regardless of who occupies the office.  That's the way it was when I was growing up - there was no "shock news" or name calling on the news.  I can't imagine Chet Huntley or David Brinkley saying anything even remotely like what Glenn Beck or Rush Limbaugh say on a daily basis.

Sad - I know every generation says that the next one is going to hell in a handbasket - those darn kids!! - but I'm truly afraid about the future - the tenor of the conversation has degenerated to the point of inaction - we're stuck because no one listens - they just yell.  SIGH

No comments: