Friday, October 20, 2017

Fourth Treatment - DONE

The two weeks between treatment three and four were horrific.  There isn't another word to describe the misery of those two weeks.  Extreme gastric problems (which I won't elaborate except to say prescription medication became necessary); lack of appetite to the point of very little food intake (to the concern of my caregiver); lethargy and finally, IV fluids were required despite the fact that I was, indeed, drinking water.  I lost 5 pounds in those two weeks. 

My blood work was very bad at the 1 week testing - white count down extremely low - it drops each time but never this low - and it rebounds by the next week which it also did this time but not as far.  Because of that and to keep the count from dropping so low, the last treatment dosage was lowered 25%.  Here's hoping that the lower dose keeps the blood work positive and also lessens the effects of the treatment. I don't want to relive those two weeks - even if this treatment (4) is the LAST of the dual-drugs!!

I asked (and received) an extra week off between this last dual-drug treatment and the start of the single drug weekly treatment.  Hopefully, as I told the doctor, I'll have more than 2 days where I feel 90% like a real human!  Everyone I've talked to, including my wonderful chemo nurse, has assured me that the single drug (Taxol) is much less severe than the others and won't affect me as much.  I was seated next to a woman who was getting her first Taxol treatment (she's a step ahead of me) and, unfortunately, she had a rather immediate reaction to the meds.  The nurses knew just what to do, stopping the meds, giving her benedryl and within a few minutes she was fine.  Apparently she's not allergic to the med but to an additive in the delivery system - I'm not allergic to many things and I sincerely hope this isn't one!  We'll see in three weeks!

On the positive front (and there definitely was positive news) - the doctor did say that my treatment has been aggressive and, people over 65 (ME) can be more affected than younger people.  However, doing a cursory exam he said he could no longer feel the lump (which was not the case 6 weeks ago) so he was encouraged that it had reduced that much with only 3 treatments (the fourth was yet to be administered).  Any time he's encouraged, I certainly am!  On a secondary note - I've been trying since July to lose a few pounds and as of yesterday I've lost 24!!  The past few weeks haven't been a recommended diet but the first pounds off were simply by limiting (not eliminating) carbs in my diet and that was slower (of course) but effective.  I'll take all the positive news I can get!

I have wonderful friends and family who are very supportive.  I love all the cards, FB comments, Messenger messages, phone calls and gifts.  I can't say enough how much it means to me and how much all the people are important in my life.  Y'all are the best!!  💗💕

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hoping it all gets easier soon...Love you...
Alice