Friday, May 22, 2009

Memorial Day 2009

From Diane's Musings

Once again it's Memorial Day - a special day for me since 1964 when my Father was buried at Arlington Cemetery.  At that time we had to wait for a specific time - because there were so many burials because of the Vietnam War (there was a burial every 15 minutes).  This year we had to wait for a specific time for my Mother because there are so many WWII and Korea War veterans dying.  Mom won't be at Arlington in time for Memorial Day this year but my father, my husband and my step-father are all there. 

It's a very beautiful place and there's no wonder why the Custis and Lee families wanted to live there - but it's also a very sad place - even more this year.

My thoughts and condolences go to everyone who has lost loved ones - and, most particularly, to those with family at Arlington.

Eternal Father, strong to save,
Whose arm hath bound the restless wave,
Who bidd'st the mighty ocean deep,
Its own appointed limits keep.
Oh hear us when we cry to Thee,
For those in peril on the sea! Amen.

1 comment:

Susan Marziani said...

I'm sorry I haven't been very active in the blog o sphere here lately. I do read and enjoy but it seems my participation level has somewhat taken a nose dive. Maybe it's because I'm trying to learn Facebook and Twitter at the same time....I don't know which one to update on a regular basis anymore...

Your notes about your Mom make my heart go out to you. I can honestly say I do not know what you're going through because I haven't had that unfortunate experience yet. I just know I feel the same way you do/did - what will I do without her. My thoughts are with you my friend.

We missed you last night at ARG...can't wait to get back on track in June.

Be good....Delilah