Saturday, May 2, 2009

Memories

Years ago, when my Grandmother died, I remember having many talks with my mother about Grandma and Mom saying it was so hard because there were so many times she saw something or heard something and she started to pick up the phone to call her Mother.  I thought I understood - I know I commiserated with Mom - and said that she could always call me but I truly didn't understand until today.

I was not as good a daughter as my Mom was - she called her Mother every week, sometimes more often.  In my case it could be longer between phone calls (and frequently was) but for almost 59 years I always knew that Mom was there at the other end of a phone line - ready to talk and hear all my problems and worries.  She's not there anymore but I still have the problems and worries and now it's me who finds herself wanting to reach for the phone to talk over the day's events.

With full credit to Rogers & Hammerstein

When you walk through a storm keep your head up high,
And don't be afraid of the dark.
At the end of a storm is a golden sky
And the sweet silver song of a lark.
Walk on through the wind,
Walk on through the rain,
Tho' your dreams be tossed and blown.
Walk on, walk on with hope in your heart,
And you'll never walk alone,
You'll never walk alone!

I miss you, Mom and I'm going to be reaching for that phone for a very long time.

Love you always.

1 comment:

Susan Marziani said...

What a lovely tribute to your Mom.

On a happier note - Happy
Birthday to You! Happy Birthday to You! Happy Birthday Dear Diane.......Happy Birthday to You!