Thursday, December 24, 2009

Thoughts on nothing in particular . . .

Apparently Christmas Eve day is the day for old TV series marathons.  And one that has always (since the 90s anyway!) had an effect on me is the West Wing episode "In Excelsis Deo".   It's the usual story of life in the West Wing as done by TV but it's also the story of a homeless veteran who dies wearing the donated coat of a White House staffer.  Inside the coat is the staffer's business card.  The staffer is the one who realizes the man is a veteran and, using the influence of the White House, arranges a military funeral for the man. So far nothing too far beyond the usual TV fare.

The kicker comes at the end - a boys choir is at the White House singing Little Drummer Boy (a very personal favorite) as the hearse arrives at Arlington.  The Marine honor guard, rifle squad and flag folding are accompanied by Little Drummer Boy . . .   never fails to elicit strong emotions.

I can't say that I'm sorry to see 2009 leave - although I'm not certain that I want to be as old as I will be in 2010!  2009 has been a year of great change - some good, some bad, some still undecided - not unlike most years - just this year seemed to have more than most - and more of them were major changes to family, friends, home and work. 

So come on 2010 - I've seen what 2009 had to offer - and now I'm ready for something different!

No comments: