Tuesday, August 2, 2016

2016 Election Cycle

I'm so totally over the election - the whole thing. I remember the election of 1964 - the one people were talking about at the conventions where Johnson had the commercial about the little girl playing when a nuclear explosion occurred. It was scary!

I lived in NOVA - about 8 miles (by air, certainly NOT by land!) from the capitol dome. We knew duck & cover was a joke - we'd be taken by the shock wave if the fire ball didn't get us. My Dad had a "get out of Washington" card that didn't include the family (early 60s). It's when the chemical symbol for gold was etched upon my brain because Goldwater's slogan was AUH2O!

There was scary stuff going on in the 60s but it never seemed as nasty as it does now. Johnson said Goldwater was unqualified and vice versa but he didn't call him "Crooked" or "Lying". Johnson's commercial said you can't trust Goldwater to do the right thing but it didn't say he was a traitor or stupid. Those who don't study the past are doomed to repeat it - isolationism didn't work for us prior to WWI and we were far less interconnected than we are now.

I'm heart sick that my country can apparently be so bigoted, narrow minded and hateful. I hope for the future but am worried about getting there - especially as a "whole" nation and not a bunch of separate entities.

No comments: