Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Summer 2017 - Another Week!

Wow, this has been a second week that was and it's only Wednesday! But, great for me, today was a day that didn't require awakening to an alarm and, unlike yesterday, didn't require me to be up and out in an almost tropical storm!

Monday was an outpatient surgical procedure where I had a Power Port (Mediport) installed so that giving the chemo drugs is easier on everyone.  It was a compromise time so the place wasn't the nearby hospital but the one that used to be closest!  That hospital has been redone and looks great. Everything was on time, including me, until it was discovered that my bloodwork tests were over two weeks old - oh my - so there was an hour's delay until those could be completed.  Once done, we were once again a go.  The procedure itself is fairly simple - for a vascular surgeon!  The doctor was a bit concerned, however, because my heart rate is low.  I'd asked my PCP about it and he said it was a side-effect of the blood pressure medicine I take.  Anyway, the doctor decided that she'd go with lidocaine primarily for the aesthetic instead of the Fentanyl.  So no nighty night for me!!  The lidocaine shots hurt but once the numbing began all I felt was pressure.  About 1/2 through, the nurse gave me a small dose of Fentanyl and later a very small dose of Versed, but I was awake and talking to everyone the whole time!  It did make "recovery" faster cuz I didn't have to wake up!! The incisions are healing well and my neck isn't stiff and sore anymore so that's good!

Tuesday morning, in the downpour, I had an echocardiogram scheduled.  The doctor is testing everything!  It was interesting and so easy.  Basically, it's an ultrasound of your heart.  It was interesting to see my heart beating away on the monitor.  The technician said that the cardiologist would be reading the results and sending them to the doctor so I guess I'll find out on Thursday.

(PS I'm enjoying all the tests that don't require me to completely undress! And that included the installation of the Mediport!!)

Today is my Chemo Education class where I'll find out more about what's going to happen and what I'm going to be given.  It was originally scheduled for Monday, but the surgery was delayed and I just couldn't make it from one hospital to another and get something to eat (important after 18 hours) so today is a better day.  Then tomorrow is my first Chemo appointment.  YIKES

I'm so lucky to have so many friends who are being so wonderfully supportive, not to mention my sons.  It definitely helps.  Second son is going with me to the class and taking me to the chemo appointment tomorrow (and most likely to most of them!) because he's going to be involved most directly of the two of them.

Another week, some more steps in the process - further along the trail to no cancer.  It's a good thing.


(This is a picture of the power port - mine is on my left shoulder instead of the right.)








No comments: