Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Flag Pin or No Flag Pin


Is that truly the most important question we, as Americans, are facing this year?? Wow - and here I thought we had other things to ponder - like how to get out of a quagmire in Iraq (almost wrote Vietnam - but that just shows my age!!) and how to provide children with affordable health care. But apparently I'm wrong and a Flag Pin is more important - along with the rantings of a strange Rush Limbaugh about "phoney soldiers".

I worry that we are actually listening to Rush - I know years ago I would occasionally listen to him and, sometimes, even agreed with him. But he lost his credibility with me long ago and I now just sigh and shake my head in amazement that he's allowed such influence. I certainly don't think his musings deserve Senate time! Nor do I think it's critical or even relevant if a Presidential candidate does or does not wear a piece of metal on his jacket.

I don't agree with Barack Obama on everything but I do agree with him on this - having a pin on his jacket isn't as important, to me, as the words coming out of his mouth! His views, ambitions and plans for America are more important for us to hear (agree or disagree!) and more supportive of the ideals symbolized by the American flag than the actual wearing of a pin. (And the last time I saw Senator Obama on television, he was in shirt sleeves - no place for a pin!!)

Oh well - I'm sure we'll get through this election phase - BTW I'm not watching any debates until after the conventions!! - and we'll have a new President and a whole new list of problems to debate, pontificate about and worry over!!


No comments: