Sunday, May 4, 2008

Baby Steps

Ok - here's the thing - the cast(s) are all off - the wrist is officially healed and I've got a brace which I've been using religiously. HOWEVER - it's been a week and I don't know that I've made the progress I should have - for many reasons! I do have an ulterior motive - I'd like to avoid physical therapy if at all possible!

  • Fear - it's very strange to feel "afraid" to use part of your body that you've always used but there you are. I'm able to type with both hands but not as smoothly as I used to - yet. But I've been babying my wrist - probably too much!
  • Relying too much on the brace - my wrist - heck the arm - felt naked without something on it so I left the brace on except for showers. It's scratchy and doesn't (of course) have the support of the cast but it does give a sense of security - but it definitely limits mobility!
  • Feeling particularly old and vulnerable - this is my birthday month (in fact week) and the length of time this is taking to heal has pointed out, once again, that a significant amount of time has passed and "bouncing back" simply doesn't happen any more. That realization also causes mini - pity parties, which while temporarily gratifying (on some bizarre plane) are simply not useful or helpful

SO - what now!!?? Well, the brace is off today - I'm typing without it and doing ok - the old arm is stiff - of course it is! I don't have any real pain - just some soreness! I'll use the brace at night (at least for another few days) and I'm going to try to make myself use my hand and wrist more. Poor thing can barely hold anything but it's getting better every day!

AND - no more pity parties! I had some whine (with cheese and wine actually) but it's time to "let it go".

I'm going to depend on my friends to reign me in if (ok when) I get going! That's what friends are for - listening, supporting and smacking upside the head when it's needed! It's been a while since we've been able to get together - really looking forward to that!!

No comments: