Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Interesting Times . . .

The supposed Chinese "curse" is May You Live In Interesting Times. I've never been sure why living in such times would be a curse but I'm pretty sure we're there!

The first First Lady I remember is Maime Eisenhower - with bell skirt and peter-pan collar - she seemed like a nice grandma lady to a kid!

But I've now seen a woman make a very good run for the Presidency - good for her! And an African-American is now the nominee of the Democratic party - WOW talk about interesting times! So dispite the curse, I'm thrilled to live in these times!

My grandmother saw automobiles, airplanes and space shuttles. I've seen men walk on the moon, clear, closeup pictures of Jupiter and Mars, and women serving on Navy ships. I was in high school before I had a classmate who black and now I've voted in a primary election (and soon the general election) for a black man for President of the United States. Interesting times indeed!

So I can only hope we continue to live in interesting times - daily life can seem mundane and routine - but these special events certainly do add spice!

And people wonder why I find history so interesting and fun!

1 comment:

Susan Marziani said...

Interesting indeed - and what a trip to actually witness history like we are. Think about it - whichever of them won the ticket, it was history in the making. A black man or a woman - how cool is that? And what a message either one of them winning will send to the rest of the world. See, we can all get along after all. Stay inside this weekend and enjoy the AC...