Monday, August 11, 2008

A Year Ago . . .

Last year at this time, my mother had just returned home from a nursing facility after being in the hospital for several weeks.  Hospice had been called and my entire Virginia family (me & both boys) had been down to visit (while she was still in the nursing home).  She was able to go home because Hospice agreed to manage her meds and because my brother was able to arrange around-the-clock help.  She weighed 71 pounds (mostly because she wouldn't eat at the home - it didn't matter what was brought, she didn't want it!)

Today she's home, has gained over 25 pounds and enjoys getting out of the house for weekly hair appointments and grocery shopping with "the ladies" who take care of her.  We've been extremely lucky that she's doing as well as she is and we're greatful for each day.

My total thanks and appreciation go to my brother and sister-in-law - without them living so close and being able to handle everything I don't know what we would do.  I'm very glad not to have to find out!  Thanks so much, both of you!

One Day At A Time is not just for AA!

1 comment:

Susan Marziani said...

You are very fortunate to have family close to her who can assist. That's a terrible thing to try and manage long distance.

Glad she is doing well and getting out for "girly" appointments!