Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Painting

After trying unsuccessfully to hire a professional painter for the family room, kitchen, laundry area and 1/2 bath, I decided to take roller in hand and do it myself! 

On Saturday I taped everything - I didn't used to use tape but my eyes and hands aren't as good as they used to be - particularly the right hand! Anyway that went well and on Sunday I got up, went to Home Depot, got the paint and started working.  I started with the fireplace wall because it's smaller and because I really wanted to see the paint against the woodwork.  Looked good!

About 2 1/2 hours later I was finished - except for some touchup - and the family room was a pretty green - actually Khaki by Ralph Lauren Urban Lofts. I did all the family room and the wall that connects to the kitchen but the kitchen itself (little that there is) is still awaiting green!  There's some priming that needs to be done first because the builder (all those years ago) built the cabinets in place and then stained and varnished them in place - one wall has the perfect outline of the cabinet door in varnish (where it was sprayed!).  Kilz to the rescue!

Hopefully the kitchen will be done this weekend and we will start moving furniture back to the family room - Don finished cleaning all the paneling and woodwork with Murphy's Oil Soap - so it looks great! 

Pictures to follow when the sun comes out and I'm home to see it!

1 comment:

Susan Marziani said...

I've been trying to think of the perfect color for one wall in my bedroom and I think you just nailed it with the Khaki...I'm gonna check that out!

Ain't painting fun? I just did my kitchen a few weeks ago.