Monday, June 11, 2012

Decisions

I made a momentous (at least at this time!) decision today to get another dog.  I called the breeder where I'd gotten Sasha back in 1991.  She was such a fantastic dog, it was only natural!

We'd lost our first German Shepherd in November 1990.  After Harry's death in January '91, I decided the boys and I needed a dog.  I was reading the Washington Post one day and noticed an advertisement for German Shepherds in Gaithersburg, Maryland.  I took a chance, called and made an appointment to go up on Mother's Day.  We were able to pick out a puppy and take her home with us.  She traveled very well and she was a complete joy for 11 years.

Obviously the breeder has grown over the years - now, waiting until a puppy is 8 weeks old probably means you won't get one!  The puppy I'm interested in was born at the end of May and will be able to come home at the end of July.

I'm very excited - however, there is some concern because of the two cats who already are living here. I know they'll adjust - after all they adjusted to each other fairly well! - but it will still be traumatic for them.  On the positive side, they'll be able to whip a puppy into shape and teach her quickly who's the boss(es)!!

It's been a long time since there's been a puppy (or even a kitten) in the house.  Quincy & Cleo arrived as adults - but I'm sure we'll manage!

No comments: