Friday, September 1, 2017

The Day After the 1st Day!

Today has been ok so far - a little feeling of being just off - not sick or anything just off with a light headache.  Anyway - I thought I'd do a recap of tests, just to show how I got here.


  • Felt and saw something strange in my breast - it seemed at first almost as if it were swollen up around the nipple - called PCP and Gynecologist - the Gynecologist could see me first! 
  • He scheduled a 3D mammogram for approximately 3 weeks away, in the meantime I saw the PCP who updated meds and agreed with the mammogram.
  • 3D mammogram showed something and it was recommended that I have a biopsy the next Monday (true to tell, the 2016 mammogram was cleared by the Radiologist and the Gynecologist but I was a few months late on the 2017 one - my bad tho all the doctors have said it wasn't that late!)
  • Biopsy done on two places - OUCH and met with the Radiologist on Thursday.  That poor man had to be the one to give me the news that it was cancer UGH.  The nurse navigator had already talked with Dr. Martin (Gynecologist) who'd recommended Dr. L Goldstein as the surgeon and an appointment had been set up for the following week.
  • Dr. Goldstein poked and prodded (gently) and said she wanted me to see an oncologist (Dr. Alberico) right away because between the two of them they'd decide what treatment was best - she then sent me down for an EKG, more blood work.  
  • Dr. Alberico (Virginia Oncology) met with me at his Norfolk office and ordered an MRI, CT and Bone Scan (already described and more blood work!)
  • MRI (with medicine to get me in the thing) and dye showed that one lymph node was involved (BAD but not as bad as it could be)
  • CT scan was clear
  • Bone Scan was clear
  • Blood work was excellent
  • He scheduled a Mediport placement and decided that treatment would begin the next week (YIKES)
  • Then decided he wanted an echocardiogram to ensure my heart was doing well
  • Port placement was Monday - with more blood work - getting low here!
  • Echo was done Tuesday
  • Treatment began yesterday (Thursday) and Dr. Alberico said my heart was strong and healthy.
  • Treatment took about 3 hours, then the neulasta was put on - sometime this afternoon it will give me it's medicine and be discarded.  In the meantime, I now have two types of nausea meds and am taking Clariton to counteract some of the effects of the neulasta - they don't know why Claritan works but it apparently does.
The mammogram was July 18, 2017 - so I've been on fast forward for the past 6 weeks and it looks like it's going to be that way for at least the next 4 months and that's all before surgery to get rid of the offending mass.

Did I mention I also have a new prescription for Xanax for those times I'm feeling totally out of control??? Haven't used it yet but I will - it's what got me in the MRI and if it can do that, it will help with anything!  

Did find out I'll lose my hair.  Have a huge event coming up the end of September and, while I allow few pictures of myself anyway, I certainly don't want any there being bald so it's off to find a nice wig - if I only wear it once or twice it will be totally worth it!

A special thanks to all my friends and family who have sent such supportive messages to me - they mean a lot!

No comments: