Friday, October 24, 2008

Political Musings . . . and Clothes

How bizarre that one of the biggest stories in this contencious political season is the $150,000 of Republican Party funds spent on Sarah Palin's wardrobe. 

I haven't given either party any donation - I just haven't - and I certainly don't begrudge anyone new clothes - I need some myself - but, if I had given a donation to a political party to further their cause, to help "my" candidate get elected, I WOULD be upset to discover that my money hadn't gone to advertising or placards or even bumper stickers or anything else that would further my candidate's cause,  but had gone to buy clothing for one of the candidates.  I would have been even more upset to find out how much and where the money was spent. 

Surely there was some middle ground - someplace to get Sarah Palin's clothes - that fell between the thrift store (where she said she shopped), Walmart, Kmart and Barney's and Saks Fifth Avenue!!  I mean really - there are mid-level department stores that have nice looking clothes - stores like Kohls or Macy's, Bloomingdales or even Nordstroms.  Places where the bill might well have been under $100,000!!  From what I've seen her clothes are nice but not that much different (at least from the distance of the TV set) from those mass-market versions available for much less.

To me this is just another indication that the Republican Party, John McCain and Sarah Palin are out of touch with reality and the American public - we're facing massive economic crises and they're spending $150,000 for clothes that, according to the campaign, will only be worn for a few weeks and given to charity.  That's what the disadvantaged need - used designer clothes!

And as a governor - couldn't Mrs. Palin afford her own clothes??? 

No comments: