Saturday, January 14, 2012

Customer Service

I work in customer service . . plain and simple and yet, it is anything but plain or simple.  Customer service is hard - really hard.  Most of the customers I see are nice, pleasant people who actually apologize for asking for help (it's why I'm there - ask away!!).  And it's so much fun to find an answer or help someone with a problem or issue they're having.

But there are others.  It's hard to help people who are impatient, irritated, on the telephone (my pet peeve!) or oblivious.  I'm sorry that your items are late and you now owe us money - I really am but it's not my fault!  It's not my fault that a hurricane was coming so you evacuated three days early (and days after your materials were due!) and, no, I'm not willing to waive those fines.  I didn't check out all those items and then pack them when you moved so that now they're months late and you've gotten a call from the collection agency. But I'm willing to help figure out the best solution for everyone.  And I'm not the one who was on Facebook for 50 minutes and now only has 10 minutes to type up the letter that was so urgent you HAD to have a computer NOW - and no, the next reservation is starting in 10 minutes so I can't extend your time.  But I will see if there's another computer that you can use either now or shortly to finish your work.

Some suggestions:

  • keep that receipt - it gives your due dates and if you lose it - check online or call us
  • have your card with you when you come in or call on the phone - it'll speed things along
  • have email that you're willing to share - we'll let you know things are coming due - great for saving on fines!
  • don't berate the staff when the situation is out of their control - they're really trying to help you 


My workplace is very customer oriented and we work hard at it and most of the time I think we get it right.  But it's hard work every day . . . and every day I hope that at least one person walks away pleased with the service they've received.


No comments: