Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Making a difference . . .

From a blog I read occasionally - "One option is to struggle to be heard whenever you're in the room . . . another is to be the sort of person who is missed when you are not.  The first involves making noise. The second involves making a difference."

How I would like to think that I'm someone who's making a difference, but a closer look at my life shows I'm more likely the person making noise - or if not that person, then one who's not missed when she leaves the room because I've made no contribution.

It's difficult to be in the last third of your life - the promise of youth is behind me as is the productivity of early adulthood.  I still believe that I have things to do . . . and I know I've done things of which I'm very proud . . . but I also know that time is finite.

Ah . . . but too much of this only breeds melancholy and that's just counter-productive so while the quiet times do lead to contemplation, they don't lead to depression or melancholy.

No comments: