Tuesday, November 27, 2007

IM & Me

I've used Instant Messaging for years. I use it to keep in touch with people who aren't "in the neighborhood" and to save money on long-distance telephone charges (that used to be more important in the days before free long-distance on cell phones!!). I use it because it's more immediate than email - more like having a conversation, not writing a letter (or a journal entry!).

I have been part of the IM work at VBPL also. I have worked several IM sessions and find it fun and enjoyable. I'm hoping that business picks up with increased publicity about the service, including word-of-mouth from those who have ventured to ask questions!

The questions I have received have been good ones - primarily basic ones - with some exceptions! One question even led to an additional statement in the Adult Registration Policy to say that people with Powers of Attorney may get library cards for the named individuals - now there's an example of IM at work! This was a busy mother of 4 who may not have had extra time to spend at the library asking questions, but who was looking at our webpage and noticed that we were online and asked!

IM is poised to become the "ready reference" desk and who better to answer those "I wonder what ..." questions than library staff?? After all, we'll research our answers and give sources - and allow follow-up questions!!

1 comment:

Susan Marziani said...

Couldn't have said it better myself. Rock On!