Tuesday, February 19, 2008

End of an era . . .


Fidel Castro has resigned as President of Cuba. I was in elementary school when he took over the country (I don't remember much about that!). But I do remember the Bay of Pigs in 1961 right after the election of John F. Kennedy.

I remember because my parents were convinced this was a sign that the new (non-Republican)President was going to have major problems during his tenure (little did we all know!).

I was amazed when the Berlin Wall was taken down (I vividly remember it being built - with tanks facing each other) but this has almost had a bigger impact on me for some reason. For so many years we have been warned of the dangers of Communism only 90 miles off the shores of Miami and we've had so many people fleeing in boats, rafts and even trucks trying to leave Cuba.

I honestly didn't think I would ever see a Cuba without Fidel! (I can't say without Castro since Raoul is now in charge!) I knew he wouldn't live forever but it certainly seemed as if he were trying!

Oh well - guess it's a sign of advancing age - these changes seem more momentous to me than they probably would have 20 - 30 years ago!

No comments: