Sunday, December 9, 2007

My MySpace - My Facebook

I have both a Facebook and a MySpace account. (unfortunately I can't give a link to the Facebook account, you have to be registered to see it!) I had the MySpace first and, maybe because it was originially used mostly by younger people, I find it easier and more fun to use. My profile on MySpace is much more "evolved" and complicated although I've joined some library-related groups on Facebook. There are tons of layouts available for MySpace and add-on apps for both.

I don't play games (either on social network sites or otherwise) and I'm not big on a lot of those kind of additional apps, but I like being able to post videos that I like and have music that I like.

I use MySpace to keep in touch with friends and family, although I'm just as likely to send email! For kids, I can see this as a progression from the telephone. When I was a teen (yes, we did have telephones then, and they weren't all black! but they did have rotary dials) talking to your friends on the phone was what we did - now the kids can text, IM or comment online. Since MySpace has IM, email and blogging - everything is in one place - they can use that easily (and they don't have to be at home!).