Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Settling In – Settling Down

We're getting there, slowly but surely!

Don's stuff is here (we cleaned the garage in anticipation of the move – I enjoyed seeing the floor for that brief time!!) and today is the first day of his "commuter life". He's on the road to Richmond and work. Yesterday he worked from home while I worked from - WORK! The cats were happy because they didn't have to wait until 9:30 to eat – down to just one night a week for that now! He'll be back Thursday (if no crisis occurs that requires him to remain in Richmond) and work from home again on Friday (and Saturday and Sunday if necessary!!).

Helping clean the apartment and pack has been an inspiration – we got home and I cleaned out a cabinet in the kitchen and Don cleaned the pantry – three bags of garbage later … ! Honestly, it's amazing how much "stuff" accumulates when you aren't looking! The cabinet wasn't one that I really "use" all that much but still was full of what I must have thought was vitally important stuff at one time! But I'm definitely in a "clean and clear" frame of mind – "when in doubt throw it out" has become my motto! Especially if I haven't used (or even seen) the thing in months or, more likely, years!

If I truly need that item in the future (whenever that might be) I'll just have to go get another one! (BTW – that's probably why I have more than one anyway – I couldn't find the one I already had, so I went out and bought another one and somehow they "found" each other in the cabinet!) It's a conspiracy – it must be – it certainly isn't MY fault!


2 comments:

Susan Marziani said...

Doesn't it feel good to toss old stuff out? I find it very therapeutic. We sort of did the same thing this past weekend with getting ready for new furniture. We had an old, huge entertainment center that was full of some very old, never used stuff - like cassette tapes and old VHS movies. Out with the old - in with the new stuff to pile up for next ten years. Ciao.

Diane Wetterlin said...

Yes it does feel good! But please don't mention VHS tapes - they breed when left alone too long! Congrats on your cleaning too - now I just have to get motivated for Christmas shopping!